8/23/10

Week 8 - Day 6 ~ First Appointment

weight:


so it is already that time of the week....wow times flies.  so oddly enough i have lost two pounds....shrugs.....sitting at 133.  maybe it is my adversity to food lately.  idk.  we also took our weekly photos which i have to download into my album...it will be interesting to see them in the end :)


how am i feeling:


today i've just felt tired....nothing new lol.  the rainy cold weather did make me a bit grumpy...alas i stayed in watching an old movie and cuddling with my alan for a mid afternoon nap.  we did go to our first doctors appt this morning which was fun.  met the nurse practitioner, filled out a bunch of forms,  gave a urine sample, and had an exam including some cervical test that i am unsure of..some sort of screen.  she is sending me for an ultrasound sometime within the next couple weeks to take a look at a uterine fibroid i have sharing space with the baby and the baby also....snickers.  she also gave me a bunch of handouts about optional screening tests.  i think my next appointment will be in a month and they will take blood and do another exam.


eating:


gosh i have not been into eating lately...i had a small bowl of whole grain cereal for breakfast and for a later breakfast i shared a pump bagel with alan with some egg, cheese, and bacon and an orange juice--> funny how i never liked orange juice before and now i crave it lol.  lunch...if you could call it that consisted of a 1/2 a slice of left over pizza.  and dinner well last minute got a salad and eggplant parm to split with alan and water.  i have been super thirsty lately and need to make sure i get enough water.  a small headache today indicates that i may be dehydrated!


other:


well i guess this is as good of place as any to talk about my wavering decision to get a FirstScreen test or not (any suggestions would be greatly helpful).  for those of you who are unsure what i am referring to...this would be the screening test that can detect your increased risk of having a baby with Down syndrome  or trisomy 18.  by taking a blood sample where they analyze the PAPP-A and hCG proteins and an ultrasound where they measure the nuchal translucency of the fluid behind the back of the fetuses neck they can determine whether you screen negative or positive.  if positive your baby is at higher risk and doctors suggest amniocentesis. now this is a screen test typically down for mothers over the age of 35 however now they offer it to everyone.   the thing is you could come out positive and go through the amniocentesis (which is painful and puts you at risk for miscarriage) all for not.  shrugs.  is it better to know or not to know?  what if you do know?  what would that change?  this screening has to be done between the 10-14th week so i have to decide soon.  hum....any supportive feedback with your experiences would be helpful :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, so on this one I have lots to talk about. So, my love, give me a call and I can tell what my experience was. Because I was 35, we went straight to the amnio so I can only give you info on that portion. And, don't worry about the weight or loss of appetite-it will all change and you will get BIG! I didn't even put on more than 5 lbs by the time I hit 5 1/2 mths and I put on 22lbs all together. All was good-look at the size of Chris now!!
Love ya, Karen

Anonymous said...

Hey there,
Call me to chat about this test. I think I have some really important info that will help you. I had it done, and I think it is an absolute must. I can give you all the details over the phone.
And, believe me, you will gain weight :-). Tight now at almost the end of my sixth month I am up 20 lbs. Yikes!!

Anonymous said...

BTW - when trying to decide google trisomy 18. That may help you decide. :-) But, call me anyway